Saturday, January 22, 2011

Arepa's at Taco Nacho



Taco Nacho - 1227 S. Seneca Wichita, Kansas

Venezuelan & Mexican Food. No Tacos, No Nachos.

DELICIOUS sums up this experience in one word. We haven't been eating out much (boo to that, but yea for losing weight and saving money) and today was the day I couldn't take another home cooked, healthy meal. I wanted to eat some Mexican food - and it had to be a place where I would take one bite and swoon. I found that experience at Taco Nacho.

We had to laugh because they don't have nachos (thank goodness) or tacos - but they do have Mariachi's - not a band - but a corn tortilla on a plate with meat on top. Sounds to me like you could fold that over and have a taco, but they owner said they do not have tacos. They do have tamales - both Mexican & Venezuelan - with or without gravy.

My Arepa was absolutely one of the best things I have ever eaten. The "corn fritter" was crispy on the outside and creamy softness inside. It was filled with refried beans, shredded pork in a light gravy and cheese. The only thing that could have made it better, would have been cilantro and onions, which I asked for but didn't get.

The Loose Plate that Doug had was Pork in red chile (Rojo), beans and rice. Not too hot - mine was spicier, but still a fantastic combination of flavors. He's not a bean lover, and didn't finish these either, but he thought they were pretty good.

The specials board touted Empanadas, Albondigas, Pabellon and other varieties of Arepas, and fried Plantains, all of which I am anxious to try. Too bad these things aren't listed in my Weight Watchers points book, and they are only open 8:00 - 3:00 Monday - Saturday. BAD NEWS - TACO NACHO CLOSED 2/11/11. THEY HOPE TO RE-OPEN SOON IN A NEW LOCATION AND WITH A NEW NAME - STIVALY'S CAFE.

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for joining my Valentine's giveaways. Hope u will be one of the lucky winners. I wish we have Taco Nacho here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won a giveaway on my blog. I just emailed you :) Have a wonderful week!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm, arepas. I've always wanted to try those. They look great.

    Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
    www.mawhats4dinner.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to try this. However, I'm in Oregon and the restaurant is not :-). This is my first visit to your blog. I've spent some time browsing through your earlier entries and just wanted you to know I enjoyed my visit. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am new here! Would love if you come visit and follow me too! Have a beautiful day! :) Shauna

    ReplyDelete
  6. This may be the way to my husband's heart... I'm half Colombian and lived in Venezuela for four years, so arepas are one of my favorite comfort foods! My silly husband is totally confused by them though, I think filling them with pork and cheese might be the way to go! My mouth is watering already....

    Hope you have a wonderful day!
    B.

    That Girl in Pearls

    ReplyDelete
  7. Arepas are next up on our list of things to try to make. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete